With the support of the U.S Embassy in Algiers, World Learning launched the PLUS program in 2013 to prepare young high school students from disadvantaged areas around Algeria for future professional success. Through the project, students aged 14 to 16 improve their English skills while also identifying career paths aligned with their strengths and interests, building enhanced employability skills, and boosting their self-confidence, civic spirit, and entrepreneurship capacities.
From 2013 to 2016, over 125 students benefited from a full suite of career services, English-language training, and regular personal development opportunities. More than 20 teachers at local partner schools around Algeria received specialized training in order to implement the project.
In 2017, World Learning selected 125 new participants in collaboration with five partner schools across Algeria: Afaq School in Adrar, Bravo School in Algiers, the High Institute of Training and Communications in Boumerdes, English Universe School in Ghardaïa, and Edrak School in Tindouf.
WORLD LEARNING AND THESE PARTNERS ARE WORKING TO:
- Deliver practical English-language training for students;
- Help students identify appropriate career paths based on individual skills, personality traits, and aspirations;
- Deliver supplemental trainings in soft skills to prepare youth to be dynamic, motivated, and conscious members of their communities;
- Build their confidence, leadership skills, and employability through civic education;
- Provide opportunities for students to use their new skills in a positive and supportive setting;
- Reinforce linkages between partner schools and local businesses to organize company visits for young participants to meet a range of local employers;
- Develop teachers’ English Language Teaching (ELT) skills and ability to guide youth in identifying appropriate career paths and contributing to their communities.